Good Exists in Every Person

Christopher - Webster City, Iowa

Some people may come across as being so evil that there is no hope for them. Others seem to spiral down into a whirlpool of depression from which they will never return. I believe though that in every person there is always enough good within them to be brought back from the edge.

There has been many times when people judged others to be totally bad, hopeless, and lost. It’s thought that these types of people will never change. I used to think this of others, but never did I think it would happen to me.

My change was most prominent in school at first. Whereas before I would get all hyped up if I wasn’t getting at least an “A-“ I would now accept a “C” and shrug my shoulders to a “D.” At home I would try and find a reason to argue with my family, to put them down whenever possible. I got mad at my mom for getting my name mixed up with my two younger brothers, or my brother, going through his own phase of peer pressure and trying to make sure his clothes matched, would reprimand him almost daily for caring so much.

In a way, I let this anger keep breeding inside of me to the point where I totally hated life. I was being completely irrational in most cases, and I saw every small inconvenience as if the world was against me.

The thing about all of this was that I knew what I was doing, how I was acting, what I was saying, was bad. The fact was I didn’t care. I had come so accustomed to all these things I was doing that, in my mind, that was the norm. One day though, before I went to bed, I started thinking about my life. I went back to the days of my childhood and just how great they were. Then I realized how much I had changed, where I had let myself get to, and for the first time I was actually sorry for how I had been living. I knew all I had done, none of that was different. The thing that had changed was that now I cared.

I went to bed that night as someone different, someone changed for the better. Even though I had a better outlook on life, I had work to do to mend the scars I’d created. My grades were crap and I didn’t exactly have the best relationship with my family, among other things. If there’s one thing I learned from this whole experience though it’s this: No matter how bad someone may seem to be, there is always enough good in them to bring them around, this I believe.