Terrible People

Angela - Hudsonville, Michigan

Last weekend, I went to the movies with my best friend. And I do mean my BEST FRIEND. In her eyes we are completely inseparable, like sisters, only closer. Until this fateful night at the movies, my opinion of our relationship was slightly different. You see, the most prominent features of her personality aren’t exactly what you would call desirable. She’s always yelling, and I don’t mean screaming at someone, I mean she doesn’t understand how loud she’s talking until someone tells her. Also, it seems she’s incapable of whispering, so the movie was an interrupted one. I could go on and on, but that would be cruel right? Yes, I believe we’re all terrible people.

As I sat watching people get mauled on the big screen, she made snide comments about the story line, the actors, the special effects. She continued disturbing the audience until I leaned over and said “Shhhhh.” I certainly didn’t tell her she was bothering other moviegoers, and I didn’t tell her to shut up, because I wasn’t irritated. What about you, are you irritated yet? See, as we walked out of the theater that night, I realized what a good time I was having with her, and how her annoying tendencies didn’t bother me. We began a conversation about how obnoxious the ending of the movie was and she immediately stated “I never find horror movies scary, I just laugh when everyone else screams.” Even though I found this statement pompous and ridiculous, I kept my mouth shut. There was no urge to berate her for bragging, because I wasn’t bothered.

In that moment, I really realized that beyond just helping me to have fun at the movies, she was teaching me how to be a better person. I don’t want to sound like I’m being condescending, but in her simple existence, I am her best friend. There’s nothing more to it. She really trusted me and believed that we were like sisters. I instantly felt awful for thinking about how much she annoyed me, and how self-absorbed she was, even though it’s a fact. She had never expressed so much as a hint of annoyance with me, in fact she was always looking to me for advice and help. In this world there is no good and bad. We are all terrible people at some level. But the people have redeeming qualities, and one of hers is her simple trust and love for the people that we care about. By looking to peoples good qualities for examples, we can improve ourselves, and treat others fairly instead of looking down on them. I once heard that you should be careful how you treat people, because they could be an angel in disguise. I believe that we all have an angel in disguise somewhere inside of us, we just need to reach out to her.