Row by Row

Nathan - Tipton, Indiana

Growing up in Indiana I would say that I know a lot about cornfields. I have very fond memories about playing hide and seek or searching them for a lost baseball. Finding something in a cornfield isn’t an easy task either. You can only see parallel to the rows and only to your right and left and not straight ahead. So in order to find what you are looking for you must walk into the first row and check left then right, take a step into the next row, look left then right, and then repeatedly over and over. Often you must check many rows for that one prized possession that makes the game go on.

Just like my pursuit for that baseball, I see life as a constant journey of looking for that one object that seems to make life go on. It is also much like hunting in a cornfield. Although much of the time we don’t know what we are looking for, but when we see it we know that is what has been missing. Right now in my life I don’t have the slightest idea of what I want to do after I graduate high school. I think about it constantly, and I have thought about countless options and researched many of them. I am not able to just look straight ahead and see what I want to; I only know what is to my right and left. This parallel sight it almost like how you can only see and live in the present. There is no reason for me to worry of to stress out because I know if I commit myself to finding that baseball I will find it, even though it much take a while. Once I am sure that ”something” isn’t in my viewpoint, or isn’t right for me, I am forced to venture into the next row farther in and start the whole process over.

Although this attitude toward life many seem one that has no control on the outcome of life, but I believe life is honestly that unpredictable. Life should be taken one day at a time, or I guess you could say one row at a time. As if right now I haven’t found that baseball to allow my game to go on, but all I can do right now is to keep searching; row by row.