Miniscule Action

Katrina - Michigan

Minuscule Action

The day had gone well: no stress to upset me, no problems to resolve; that is, until I clocked in.

After enjoying a pleasant day at the beach, I was forced to leave Lake Michigan by four o’ clock in order to arrive at my job by five. As I walked in to Vitale’s Pizzeria, I felt content; however that was soon to change. The first order I received on the phone was unbelievable. As I could hear the frustration on the other line, my back immediately tensed up. The lady frantically told me what she wanted, ordering complex and confusing combinations that my computer would not even allow me to process! After telling her the price, curse words fell on me like barbells. The entire scenario did not make any sense; all I had done was politely answer the phone. It wasn’t until she asked for my name and told me that she was going to report me to the boss that I started getting emotional. After many long winded minutes, she ended up not ordering anything, but instead, angrily hung up the phone.

At this point, I was in shock. It’s crazy how a minute action, even from a stranger, can make or break someone’s day. I had done nothing to deserve the appalling treatment. But truthfully, I know it wasn’t me she was mad at. I just happened to be the one she came across in which she was able to take her anger out on. Even so, it hurt all the same.

After hanging up and taking a deep breath, another customer came in to pick up his pizza; he could obviously tell that something was wrong. “Rough day?” he asked. My fellow worker answered for me with a short “Yea.” As I gave the man his food and took his money, he smiled at me from across the counter. No, I had never met this man before. He could have been a prison fugitive for all I knew. But that didn’t matter to me. Because of that man, I didn’t feel hated anymore. A few diminutive, kind gestures, at that moment, made all the difference. For that I was thankful, because he chose to be kind, I was thankful. In a matter of seconds, a weight of guilt lifted and I almost managed to smile back.

I believe a small act of kindness can brighten someone’s whole day. Many times the people who are most depressed in life are the ones who are day by day simply overlooked. How hard is it to smile or say hello to those around you? Happiness is a great thing to possess and should not be taken for granted; however, it appears almost sinful to keep it all to one’s self.

Sometimes the smallest actions make the largest impacts. Whether positive or negative, they tend to subconsciously stick with us. I am confident many do not comprehend they hold the ability to bring either joy or pain to the world we know. Each day, it is our choice. We can choose to think primarily of ourselves or others. However, when I leave this earth behind, I only hope and pray that the impact I made will have brought sun rather than rain.