Four Little Words

Megan - Hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: children

Four Little Words

I believe that children have a bigger impact on adults then adults have on children. I never understood why until recently. Yes, an adult teaches a child how to walk and talk, even tie their shoes. Children however show a kind of act that cannot even be described unless you get to experience it first hand.

As my car pulled into the parking lot, my eyes franticly scanned the rows for an empty spot as I was searching for my dance shoes. I didn’t want to be late for my first day. While my shaky hand was twisting the door knob, I peeked through the small opening to see many little girls bouncing around the lobby waiting for class to start.

Demonstrating was something I have dreamed of doing since I was a little girl. I have been dancing since I was three and I was very excited to be on the other side of the fence: the teacher. I have always cherished kids, and this was my chance. My chance to use the gift of dancing to teach others. To teach them the proper steps and movements that should be used in dance so they can hopefully grow to love it as much as I do when they’re older.

At the same time as the clocked ticked, the little girls came streaming through the door, one after the other as if the line was never going to end. They were all dressed in a variety of pretty pink leotards and had big bows clipped in their hair that was either pulled into piggy tails or a braid down their back. After each girl picked the “best” place to sit, attendance was taken. While I was trying to match each name with a face, I couldn’t help but smile at the look of excitement each individual girl showed. Just the sight of them made my face light up and my eyes start to water.

The hour flew by and before I knew it class was dismissed. Packing up my things before leaving, I heard a little voice. I turned my head just enough to see Kendall staring up into my eyes. As I leaned over, she gave me a hug before slipping out four tiny words, “Thank you Miss Megan.”

From that day on I began to realize how much those little girls mean to me. When ever I talk about them I can’t stop smiling; they bring so much joy to my life. I am always looking forward to the next time I will spend with them and I never want it to come to an end. As each week passes, I feel honored to witness the progression they show in dance and watch them grow up. Those four tiny words Kendall spilled out meant the world to me, and she probably doesn’t even remember saying them. That is what helped me apprehend how much they really appreciate me and notice my presence. The demonstrating experience I was given did more than just let me teach dance, it changed my perspective on children completely and led me to notice my passion for kids. I didn’t just leave the studio that day with my dance shoes, I left with more love than my heart could hold and a smile that would last forever.

I will always believe that children have a huge impact on adults. I didn’t just change my mind one day, but I get to experience it every time I pull into that parking lot to walk in a room full of precious little angels gazing up into my eyes.