Rise to the Top

Ashley - Hudsonville, Michigan

Nothing is ever easy. Sometimes it takes a while for ideas to fall precisely into place, or for it to even click. It could even be that it takes you more than one try to get it right. I believe you have to give your all. Give your highest quality of effort even if it is not perfect.

My brother has always had the difficulty of doing his best. One of the many problems my brother has. He has Attention Deficit Disorder. Something that makes it really hard for his pacing mind to concentrate. Every time there is more than one thing going on he can never sit still for even half a second. It’s always “oh yeah don’t you like this…oh did you just see that…can you help me with this….watch me do this….” It’s constantly one thought to the next with a interruption of random sorts. Sometimes I just wanna takes a bunch of duct tape and strap his wiggly self to a chair. Don’t get me wrong, I love my little brother but it really can be way to much, and I mean WAY to much.

I believe the day I saw him try his best was the day my perception of him was ultimately altered. Whenever I looked upon my brother the thought that always popped into my head was, is he ever going to get any where in life? His grades have never been that great and he just seems to be in la-la land. Even his teachers are worried about him. So being his sister I can’t help but be looking out for him, but when I saw him sit down and get down to business I was in utter shock. For once in his crazy life he actually stayed still and finished something. I could not have been more proud of my brother. He gave his all,and I’m sure he did just to sit there for a half hour to do one page of homework. Even though it was something small it was a major accomplishment.

I believe no matter the obstacle, or the hindrance, you have to overcome it and try your best. Give all that is humanly possible for your body to exert. For example Lance Armstrong overcame his cancer to win seven Tour de France’s consecutively. Helen Keller pushed past her being deaf and blind to be the first deaf blind person to graduate from college. Feats of every mind boggling nerve they could conjure up just to be able to give their all. They fought and overcame.

I believe doing your all is the only way. Rise to the top, and never stop. Don’t proceed with caution push forward like a coursing torrent of water as it over comes rocks and obstacles in its way, as it stretches out to combine with the ocean. Never give up. This is what I strongly believe.