Smell Of Success

Taylor - Hudsoville, Michigan

I believe that confidence is the key to a successful life. It is impossible to achieve anything without self-confidence.

Giving a speech or presentation can be one the most excruciating events in our day. No one likes the feeling of having that awkward spotlight cast upon you. While your peers sit with a blank face stare directed towards you, looking as if they are waiting for you to perform a magic trick or miracle.

Project presentation day in 10th grade History class reminds me of the pain of presenting you find yourself in, and the way you deal with it.

“Susie A” had just finished, and it was “Susie B’s” turn. Just before she started she said, “Umm… I would just like to say that… umm… my project isn’t as good as her’s, and I didn’t spend… like that much time on it, so umm… yeah.” My mind became filled with one big WHY?!? It boggled my mind more after she gave an A+ performance, with her A+ project.

At first I was annoyed, but quickly came to the conclusion that Miss “Susie B” had a self-confidence issue. And because of her lack of self-confidence was trying to fill the void by being cutesy. I believe that if we were in “the real world” her critics would have ripped her apart for her beginning statement, no matter how good her presentation was.

I believe that without self-confidence, no one will be able take you seriously. No one will be moved by what you have to say. Some might feel sorry for you, but ultimately all ideas and thoughts you might have will only be vetoed.

Don’t carry yourself like a “Susie B”. Instead carry yourself with your head high, shoulders broad, back straight, and let the smell of confidence emanate from you.