Put Down the Phone,and Talk

Victoria - Hudsonville, Michigan

People are meant to be around each other, from the biggest social butterfly to the hermits of the world, everyone needs others at some point. The way we demonstrate and rely on this principle is with communication, and most of the time, we talk. Talking, to me, means someone is looking you in the eye and vocalizing an opinion or thought. America, though, has gotten too fast-paced for that, and many of us have broken off from this idea. So what are we doing instead? Texting, “Facebooking,” “Myspacing,” unfortunately some of us have devolved into the “hide behind a keyboard” type, where real conversation isn’t necessary to get a point across. Don’t get me wrong, a nice message on Facebook can brighten my mood for a little while, and a quick text saves time. Sometimes, I want the computer to put a road block between me and anything to do with real assertiveness. But on any day I really want to know someone cares, take away the social networking and the awesome looking keyboard on their cell phone, I want a good old-fashion, one-on-one discourse. If someone tells me they think my haircut is nice, or maybe that I have a tendency to over-think things, I don’t want it to be in a brief statement via myspace or facebook, I want them to tell me in person! I find it much more respectable when a person forces themselves to converse with others while they are in their presence. So I believe in coffee-shop conversations, and in late night debates. I believe in nervously asking a girl on a date and avoiding an easy way to flirt through instant messaging. I think it’s better to drive several miles to console a friend instead of calling, and most of all, I believe in solid, in-person communication.