I believe in being who we really are.

Madi - Atlanta, Indiana

In a society overcome with an atmosphere of aspirations not only for acceptance, but for reputations that surpass all others, it is hard to understand why so many believe they must rely on imitations of their peers to be looked upon as fashionable, trendy, or even different. As I continue to grow up, I have realized more and more that people are pressured everyday to dress in specific clothes, act in certain ways, and accompany themselves with particular people that reflect the so-called “style” with which they feel they need to be associated. This has caused the formation of cliques, which, to me, seem to be nothing more than collections of different colored pawns that blindly follow each other in any and all directions. We’ve even come to the point now where attempting to be different has made us all the same again.

I believe in being who we really are. We are all separate individuals with different thoughts and different perspectives that we should use to define ourselves. Choosing to ignore all of the arduous pressures and ridiculous influences that surround us will let our true selves shine through. I am not saying that every influence we encounter in our daily lives should be disregarded. Role models, such as family, friends, and even many celebrities, can offer a great deal of positive inspiration that is both beneficial and, in some cases, even essential to the development of our beliefs and personalities. However, it is important to realize the difference between the constructive shaping of our selves and the destructive manipulation caused by outside sources. For example, wearing a cheese hat because everyone else is doing it would not be considered a responsible building of someone’s character.

The fact is, some have strayed a long way from the people that they were meant to be. Many would realize that, if seen from the outside, they have become a part of something completely senseless. I am not the one to say who should be this type of person and who should be that type of person. Being yourself is a personal battle that can only be understood by you, and therefore, can only be fought by you.