Just a Smile

Samantha - Louisville, Kentucky

I believe in bottled water, shooting stars, Burberry perfume, tanning, designer sunglasses, lip-gloss, heels, laughs, earrings, music and cocktails. Some of these things may be trite and give you the impression that I am a superficial person.

It is probably a fair statement to say that I was, when I began working as a pharmacy technician at the age of 16. I began with the mindset that it was just a job and I never cared about my customers. I wanted to go to work, do my job, come home, and enjoy the pay. The healthcare industry is busy and can easily leave you frustrated. However, my job has taught me to believe that smiles are contagious and simply showing I care can make a person’s day. I never thought that selling a prescription to someone or locating an item on the shelf could bring so much joy to people.

Sometimes it takes a few extra minutes and harder work, but I remember the first time going out of my way really paid off. An elderly woman was having an exceptionally hard time understanding her medication, directions and insurance. After spending several minutes helping her sort everything out, she left with a smile and thanked me. About thirty minutes later a fellow employee said the woman had called back and said that she just wanted me to know how much she appreciated my help. I grinned from ear to ear knowing that such a simple gesture on my part made her feel so good. Most of the people I come in contact with on a daily basis are typically sick and tired and just want to get home. It is my job to take the steps to get someone their medication. Nevertheless, just telling someone I hope they feel better can put a smile on their face.

I have learned that being rude to someone does not get you anywhere faster in life. Sometimes a smile from a stranger can make your day better. I have learned to put others before yourself and that showing someone you care makes you feel just as good. I still believe in the trivial things I mentioned in the beginning. However, they aren’t what make me who I am, although they make me happy I have learned to enjoy the little things in life. I always treat people how I would like to be treated because what goes around comes around. This, I believe.