Friends

Derrick - Hudsonville, Michigan

Friends

On a mission to buy a ticket for that movie you have been dying to see, while you pass an old yet familiar face. A face of an old friend. One that stops you dead in your tracks, thinking back nostolgically on all the fun times you had, wondering where it had all gone. Before you knew it, that friend who did not even notice you standing there, is gone. Just like that, you continue heading towards the theater, moving on with your life simply as your old friend had, already forgetting that almost reunion.

That girl I saw in the mall that day, used to be my best friend. Her name was Suzy. In eighth grade, after school we would head to her house and hang out. This would pretty much consist of me watching television while she applied makeup, for what felt like to me, hours and hours on end. Even though we never did anything of great excitement, every second we spent with each other we grew closer. We could tell each other anything like a brother and sister. Nothing could have split us apart, except for her grades that is. Towards the end of the year, Suzy’s grades were very poor. Her mother told us that she would have to switch schools to a neighboring school district. This changed our friendship forever.

During freshman year we tried to hang out as much as possible but we were both busy. Over time we lost touch. After she dropped out of two more schools, and made friends with the kids that gave alternative schools there reputations, I did not even want to try to keep a relationship with her. We had gone our seperate directions. I kept on the track of graduating with honors, while she went with the other course of not graduating at all. When I reflect on all the good times we had, I wondered whether if could have kept her from switching schools. If I could have kept her on a right path and not one that was so wrong. If I could have kept her as one of my good friends today, instead of a stranger I barely even recognize.

Losing a friend, not to God but the cruel world, takes away part of who you are. They are people you could tell anything to, do anything with, and not be judged. When I think of Suzy, I think of the way she used to be; not the way she is today, because back then she was the one person who could cheer me up when I felt as if I was going to die. When I see her today, I am embarrased of who she became, but mainly disgusted in myself for letting such a wonderful person who could brighten anyones day slip between the cracks of what is right and wrong. I lost a magnificent friend, one who I could have probably kept in contact with the rest of my life. I believe friendship is something special that should never be lost.