Complaining

Bob - USA

I believe that nothing productive ever comes from complaining. After someone finished complaining, have you ever heard someone respond later with “Gee, I’m sure glad they complained about that!” or any sort of positive tone? The truth is, you never will. People don’t enjoy listening to complaining.

So why do we still complain? I would say it is because we feel that at some points in life, we get so subliminally sucked up in our problems that all we know is our problems. It’s not that when we complain we are merely trying to put everyone into a negative disposition, but more that we simply become blinded by our own stresses. It isn’t hard to slowly slide into that mindset that our problems are greater than any others around us.

When I was a younger, as almost all of us did, I complained. A lot. Whenever my mom would ask me to do something and I had any objection, I would complain until I couldn’t complain anymore. If she punished me by making me write the same monotonous phrase a hundred times, I would lay on the floor and cry about how terrible this was for me, how my hand would be practically broken by the end, how there weren’t enough hours in the day to complete this grueling task. Turns out, I lived. Maybe I didn’t necessarily learn what I was supposed to from the specific words that were so carefully chosen. Maybe my hand was a little sore after I finally finished. Maybe it took a little extra time out of my delicate day.

As I repeatedly was given these punishments, I came to the realization that all the complaining never made me have to write less lines. The only thing it ever did was waste more of my time and piss my mom off even more. It never made me happier in the end, and it never made things any easier for anyone else.

We can easily think of children complaining because of the manor in which they do it. It’s always so theatrical. However, many adults also complain. Usually it is not in such a dramatic sense, but it is, nevertheless, just as useless.

Everyday when my dad gets home from work, I am stuck listening to some story about how things just went terrible for him or how the people he works with can be such idiots or how his customers aren’t making their payments or any other problem you could imagine a block salesman would be able to conjure up. But if we really consider his complaining, has it really ever helped anything? He still comes home the next day and the day after that with more stories about the “idiots at work”.

Complaining doesn’t help anything. However, its a common response to personal problems in today’s society. Next time you have the the urge to complain, I challenge you to consider what good things will come of your complaining. I can only imagine that you will find that the complaining you would like to do will, in reality, merely hinder you. The more we can avoid complaining, the less other people will feel the need to complain. It will become clear to them that the more productive and realistic people are the people who are not complaining. I believe that nothing productive ever comes from complaining.