The Sun, Sky, and Earth

Meredith - St. Louis, Missouri

In using the right side of my brain, I am able to keep from sleeping in class, look for something to amuse the kids, or find a way out of trouble. Being able to think outside the box helps me to see what is already beautiful in our world, not just what we make in it. I believe in using my creative side, the right side of my brain.

Sitting in a dark classroom, the teacher is clicking away at the power point speaking in a monotone about what happens when a cold front collides with the Rocky Mountains. The attention level I had at the beginning of the lecture rapidly declines as I start to feel the need for a nap. However, I know that if I should put my head down, I will be walloped on the head and asked a useless question about what the last slide was. So, I find myself staring at a point on the board. I start to fantasize about the perfect job I will have when I am twenty-six, the fiancé of whom everyone is envious, and the upscale flat that we share in the center of N.Y.C. I can see every detail from the outfit I would be wearing, to the size, cut, and color of the engagement ring, to the paint color on the walls. Bright city lights will shine in from the floor length windows in every room, the lush beauty product lining the granite counter top in the bathroom, and most of all, the extraordinary high-scale kitchen where I will entertain some of the most prestigious people in world of art and entertainment. I hear my name being called over and over when all of a sudden; I register who it is calling my name, “Miss Davis? Miss Davis, what would happen if both a cold and hot front collide together over the Great Plains?” Whoops, snapping back to reality is not one of the most sensational feelings to have, but gets me back on track. Picturing a vivid idea or dream is one thing that I find incredibly useful in everyday life because if I cannot dream big, I will not live big, and I have big dreams that I want to live out. As a person who sees shapes in clouds, paintings in sunsets, and sculpture in mountains, it is hard for people to understand the vividness I see, unless they know how to use their brain, too.

Right brained people like to daydream about the things they would like to have in their lives and what they want to see in their futures. They do not dwell in the present state of things, but rather look forward to a new beginning. Every child is known to ask some varying question of, “why?” Why does the earth move? Why do birds fly? Children are expected to be curious at a young age. Yet, when these children grow up, some stick with the “whys” and some start to wonder “how.” How does the earth spin? How can birds fly? We stick with the original “why” and, as such, are viewed more as wonderers instead of investigators. Now, do not get me wrong, I think both are dependent on each other and both are just as important as each other, but it is a good idea to switch gears every once in a while. Take a piano teacher. He plays beautiful music written by the best composers. Plays the scores of music used in movies and plays. As a teacher, students learn these pieces from him. But, when not playing piano, he takes on another role. The pianist researches the types of minerals that make up different elements. These two activities, piano playing and mineral research function on opposite sides of the brain. It is not good to let one go dormant. We need to exercise both sides of our brains. We can do this simply by calculating the sale price of a jacket and then, later, coloring in a picture with a brother or sister.

Lessons learned may be hard to concretely identify, but I can tell you what they can be. Do not always look with a skeptical point of view. Being a more artistic person with a more creative mindset can be a hard personality trait to express to others who are more logical or philosophical minded than we are, but all it takes is a little imagination to buck up some creative comment to get things rolling. When people do not use the side of their brain that enables their imagination, our whole world is totally changed. We would be missing out on sports, plays, music, and movies, Michelangelo’s paintings, lavish desserts, church choirs, and architectural designs other than a square or circle. Somebody was able to think outside the norm, and was able to create a world filled with things we can only imagine in our wildest dreams. People are able to take the sunsets and clouds and turn them into something more than just what they are.

Some people choose to leave their right side of their brain to waste. They do not feel the need to think with a different perspective other than their own. How are we going to help each other and assist people to see the world as a beautiful planet with much to offer? We will start with the clouds, sunsets, and mountain ranges, and use them as our building blocks.