The dream that showed I needed to change

Raquel - Kennesaw, Georgia

So usually dreams don’t make sense or they are so bizarre that you don’t take the time to actually think about what your subconscious might be trying to tell you. Last night I had a dream that I know God made me dream on purpose. I was in another country that was completely unfamiliar to me. I did not recognize the language that was spoken, but fortunately a family spoke English and offered for me to stay with them. The family was simple, consisting of a mother and father and two children. The mother was fairly pretty with short blonde hair and a warm smile. She enjoyed talking continuously; rambling on about anything that popped into her thoughts. The father was slender and tall, with strong features, although he was quite shy. Actually, through out the whole dream he never spoke once. Then there was a baby girl who resembled her mother, and a boy about my age who took a liking to his father. The mother was showing me around the town and all the beautiful things that the country had to offer. After a long day, we decided to start heading back home. They parked the car by a huge field that was partially on fire. The mother informed me that we would have to walk through the field in order to get home on the other side. As you would in a dream, I just accepted this. As we began to walk across the field, giant fireballs broke the silence of the night and crashed down all around us. Immediately, I panicked. “What is going on?!” I screamed and almost started to take off running. But the eerie thing was that the family acted as if nothing had happened at all. They continued walking at the same pace and the mother tried to console me, ” Don’t worry about it honey, this happens every day.” “Who is doing this?” I demanded of the mother. “The devil.” She lethargically stated. I accepted this and instead of following my instinct to run away, I walked calmly with the family and not another word was uttered.

When we reached the house, the mother began rambling on again as she had earlier. In my dream I was almost upset with her so I chose to ignore her. Instead, I closed all the windows in the house and drew all the blinds to try and protect myself from “the devil” outside. The family sat on the couch in the living room as the mother brought a thing of popcorn in and we all started watching a movie. Voices screaming and pleas for help along with other awful sounds coming from outside distracted my attention away from the movie. “What’s going on out there?” I inquired of the mother. “That devil is trying to destroy the homes of the town again. Don’t worry, we’re ok.” Again she answered as if she could care less. By this point, I had almost become brainwashed by the family because the next thing I knew, a dark and ominous figure (the devil) walked right through the front door and sat on the chair next to me. I didn’t even flinch. We continued to watch the movie and the mother continued to add her comments. No one even cared about the visitor in the room and ignored him. Before long the devil was talking to us about the strangest things and pretending he was part of the family. I actually accepted this for a few minutes before something came over me. All of a sudden, I felt all hate and disgust in the pit of my stomach. The Holy Spirit rose up in me and I knew what I had to do. I got off the couch and walked to open the front door. The emotion in me was so powerful that I got right into the demon’s face and screamed as loud as I could to get out and never come back. I screamed and screamed as tears rolled down my cheeks and the demon laughed in my face. Eventually, just as calmly as he had entered, the devil left through the opened front door. I sat back down on the couch and the mother turned to me, “The characters in this movie are so complex and interesting aren’t they?” I couldn’t believe that no one in the room even noticed what had just happened. They just kept watching that movie.

I believe that when there is an evil living in your life you can’t just ignore it or accept it. When you live in sin you are hurting you, those around you, and God. I believe that you can’t do drugs during the week then go to church on Sunday and pretend you have no problems in your life. I believe that you can’t be abusive or let your family get abused and cover it all up with lies and hopes that it will get better. You can’t deny a mistake you made in the past or continue living as if it never happened. Don’t put on a false face for the world to see and think that you are perfect. When the devil enters your life, call him out, rebuke him, and let him know that he isn’t welcome. Reach out to those around you and recognize there is an evil. The family in my dream accepted demons in their life and did nothing to change. My dream showed me that I have to be the one to stand up and rebuke those demons but it will be hard because everyone around me was ignoring them. But I have to find the courage to help those around me and cast evil out of our lives. I believe that there is always time to change. I believe that God will help us overcome any obstacle that life hurls towards us. I believe we are never alone.