A Voodoo Child Speaks His Peace

Daniel - Hudsonville, Michigan

A Voodoo Child Speaks his Peace

I believe in music. I believe in the music that is played from a human’s innermost being, that flows from the soul like water from the mouth of a mighty current. I believe in any music that can make people love, laugh, cry, hate, rage, hope, or experience even more deep emotion. I believe that music is a spiritual channel that always gives more than it takes, always heals more than it hurts. I believe that music is everywhere, in everything, that every sound is a pitch, every clatter is a rhythm, and every meaningless noise is a harmony. I believe that listening to music is the most spiritual experience a person can have, save talking to God. I believe that music is mankind’s greatest gift.

No musical piece has the same effect on two different people. No one hears music exactly the same, no one thinks music exactly the same, and no one plays music exactly the same, because music defines you, as it reflects your feelings and ideas. One person may think jazz a bore, and yet another may see it as a wild vortex of harmonic improvisation, as the musicians dance cleverly around each others’ patterns, smoothly transitioning from one idea to the next without skipping a beat. One person may think psychedelic music only for hippies or those who use LSD and other hard drugs, while another may see it as an experimental and deeply musical genre that uses a powerful wall of sound to convey a point. One person may think that screamo is only for those souls who are tormented inside, and that very well may be true. I don’t know, because I don’t understand or think musically in that way. Because of the phenomena of personal preference, I believe that the music you enjoy is a part of your spirit as much as your hand is a part of your body. If you don’t particularly enjoy any kind of music, you probably live a dull and boring life, filled with useless tasks and meaningless errands, and are most likely a bit of a wretch who no one likes (if this offends anyone, I’m terribly sorry).

If a relatively famous musician dies before his time, he passes through the realm of mortals and enters a new expanse of popularity. As Jimi Hendrix said, “It’s funny how most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life”. Hendrix, Kurt Cobain (Nirvana), Jim Morrison (of The Doors), Brian Jones (of the Rolling Stones), and Janis Joplin all died at the age of 27, and all have entered a strange parallel universe where their music and passions will stay burning until the end of time, even though they have passed into the next life. This illustrates the deep spirituality of music, because each of these beings seemed to have an idea of what they wanted to say through their work, and after they had said it they merely ceased to exist, leaving us only with the melodic memories of their souls.

When a musician performs, he is using only a small part of his mortal being; he is delving into the deepest expanses of his inner being, his soul and his spirit, letting others hear his emotions as they spill out and overwhelm him. That is why music is so powerful. That is why music is so emotionally charged. That is why a melody is melodic. And that is why I believe in music.