Deceived by the Babysitter

Nicole - Hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: equality

Ever since the day I was born I have been stuck with three brothers. When the babysitter came it finally felt like I had a sister. I loved and admired her as I imagined a little sister would. I loved how she never wanted to sit down but insisted on playing a game. I loved her ever occurring sweet-tooth that allowed me to indulge on pizza and ice cream. I loved the conversations with her that led to belly aching laughter. She was everything I wanted my big sister to be: fun, kind, and understanding. However, my perception of her changed as soon as I discovered she was also a two-faced liar.

I was only nine years old the first time I felt seriously lied to. I was led to believe my babysitter, my idol, was my big sister for life until a cold shoulder from her made me think differently. I had only asked her kindly if I could sit next to her on the bus. I thought she would have been as excited as I was to share a seat, but her annoyed facial expression and harsh words let me know we were not on the same page. I could have cried right in front of her and her friends. I am sure she could tell by the instant flush of red across my face, and to keep me from making a scene, with a low grumble she let me sit.

Back then I had no clue as to why she was so different on the bus than when she was taking care of me, but now I understand. Even though I thought she was my big sister, she was still a babysitter. A babysitter is suppose to turn that frown upside down, smile and laugh when they want to moan and groan, and most importantly make sure the kids love them. After all, babysitting pays well, right? The truth of the matter was and is that I was younger than her. I was still carrying my purple backpack, wearing my hair in a high crooked ponytail, and featuring my favorite studded, puppy dog t-shirt from Limited too. To her I was just an elementary midget and she was the cool kid in high school.

I believe that people should treat those younger than them the same as they would their best friends. In my opinion age difference does not matter and why should it? Being older than someone is just being older; it does not come with a label. However, for some reason the older “cooler” kids seem to believe there is. What they do not realize is that younger kids look up to them and study their every move. I cannot understand how a young adult could be okay with hurting someone who idolizes them. If I were told that someone else wanted to be me, I would be flattered.

When I am around my friends and peers at school, I never feel too cool for younger kids. I smile and say “hi” to the ones I know or have had classes with. I talk to them and laugh with them as I would with my other friends, because I know they are just as good. In fact, one of my best and closest friends is three years younger than I. She is my cousin, but we have been best friends since she was born. Unlike my babysitter, I can call her my sister. I love every second with her, and time and time again I am reminded as to how much she looks up to me, but the truth is I look up to her a little bit too.