To Eat Or Not To Eat

Patrick - Hudsonville, Michigan

To Eat Or Not To Eat.

It was last year during the wrestling season and I was cutting weight through a daily routine of starvation and exercise; I was preparing for the alpha weigh-in. After I had refused dinner for the fourth night, I decided that whenever I am able, food will be my main priority.

I had been cutting weight for a few seasons now, eating little, and trying to lose that last ounce, but nothing could compare to this. I thought about when I watched as people stuffed their faces at lunch, just wanting to grab a piece of food, but not allowing myself even that small pleasure. Everyone decided to make comments, telling me how good their food was, their “O yeah” and the unforgettable, “This…Is…AWESOME.” This got me thinking, How long will I do this? What will I do after I make weight? These thoughts raced through my mind as I sat smelling the chicken on the table with my stomach rumbling in protest to my decision.

The only thing that I could decide was after making weight, I would make the people at school pay. As soon as I make weight, I will bring in a lunch that is huge:three sandwiches, two Capri-suns, a regular size bag of chips, and some home-made double chocolate brownies. No one would enjoy the taste of my home-made double chocolate brownies as I ate all of my food. This drove me on to keep cutting weight.

After starving myself for a week, after I decided to make people pay, I took it one step further. It was not enough to eat big only at school, I had to eat big everywhere I could: at home, at my friends, at restaurants, anywhere. I decided that after a big weigh-in, I would buy a gallon of chocolate milk and a box of Cheese-Its to munch on-in one afternoon. I eat them anywhere I am.

I believe that athletes should eat whenever they are allowed.

To this very day, whenever I am not doing anything, I eat. It may not be very big; an apple or a banana, but sometimes I eat a plate loaded with chips and cheese. Usually I stuff my face so much after the season is over, that I throw-up, but that never stops me. Whenever I vomit from eating, I flush the toilet, wipe off my face, wash my hands, take a drink of water, and eat some more. Crazy? I think not!

I believe that athletes should eat whenever they are allowed because we are a land of plenty. We have food here when other countries are starving their people just so that the government can make lots of money. The food here is plentiful and we can eat whenever we want, so I say we should.

And another reason-food tastes good.