I Dream of the Hulk

Karlie - Byron Center, Michigan

I believe in the power of dreaming. Our dreams are like the picture on the front of a puzzle box. They are a beautiful and sometimes frightening display of the jumbled pieces of events from our physical life and thoughts. Each piece is strategically placed to reveal a subconscious thought, feeling, desire. We can all testify that, at one time or another, we have had a personally unknown perspective revealed to us through a dream. I know I can agree with this because one day, I dreamed of the Hulk.

How exactly did the big green guy pulverize his way into my dream? It all started with a trip to the movies one Friday afternoon. My friends decided to see the newly released movie “Wanted”; everyone was in favor of it, that is, except me. The movie itself sounded great, full of action and suspense, but I saw it from a different viewpoint. To me it was the coveted rated R movie; a restricted piece of entertainment far out of reach from my 16 year old self. It was quickly decided that my only option to enjoy this pleasure with my friends would be to sneak in. Such a simple feat, my comrades told me; they had all done it before. The worst that could happen would be that I would have to sit in a different movie by myself. How ironic that statement would become.

So the plan was set; I would buy a ticket for the Incredible Hulk and sneak into the theater to see Wanted with them later. I entered the movie for which I bought the ticket and waited alone for the call from my friends that the entrance to their movie was clear. I sat there, in that dark theater, staring at the screen on my phone wide eyed and scared to death. My heart pounded and my stomach knotted and churned with anticipation for the immoral endeavor for which I was about to partake. How I wished the cup holder on the armrest next to me had been cradling a big bottle of Pepto Bismol for me to chug to settle the nervous nausea I was suffering.

My phone lit up; the time had come. My hand shook as I answered the call. “The guy out front is gone,” I heard the voice on the other end say, “so are you coming?” I pondered a moment and then realized what I had to do. “No,” I said. “Wow, what a wuss” he replied. I smiled to myself and said, “at least I’ll be able to sleep tonight.”

And I did sleep, really well too. To dream and I mean really dream we must reach a deep, undisturbed sleep, and I believe to do this we must have a clear conscience. I dreamed of the Hulk that night; a wonderful, captivating dream. If I had left that movie to sneak into another, I know my guilt would never have subsided enough to allow that entrancement from the green mutated man. I believe in listening to my conscience; it seems to always be the most unpopular voice, and yet in some small way, the most empowering. I found an inner strength in that dream; no really can be my answer. How wonderful a blessing my conscience is; its the greatest dream catcher I will ever know.