Life’s Responsibilities

Aubrey - Hudsonville, Michigan

Life’s Responsibilities

I had just gotten home from a long night of practice. I was dirty and sweaty, and longing for a hot shower. Halfway through the shower I noticed a black fuzzy blob out of the corner of my eye. Turning around I saw the black object was the face of a little black puppy . “Oh my Gosh!” I exclaimed . Peeking my head through the curtain I noticed my sister was holding the pup. I asked her who’s dog that was. She replied saying it was ours. No way would my parents have bought us a dog. In disbelief I asked again and received the same exhilarating answer.

It was unexpected for my parents to get our family a dog. They repeatedly went on rants telling us that no matter how much fun a puppy was, a lot of work and responsibility went into caring for one. None of that entered my mind at the time. As soon as I saw Zeus, the name chosen for him, I snatched him from the floor and cuddled him in my arms not wanting to let go; still in disbelief that we had a dog. Any spare time I had I would spend with Zeus. When playing with him he would always seem to stick his little butt in the air and wag his tail like he was the king of the castle. Sometimes he would have random bursts of energy and start sprinting up and down the stairs repeatedly. Unfortunately, he has not out grown that habit. Eventually, like any puppy, he reached the stage of destruction, chewing anything that was in sight. It did not matter to him whether it was the pillow sitting on the couch, or someone’s underwear, anything looked like an appetizing chew toy. Then, the worst part of the stage started happening. He began doing his doggy business inside the house. I would come home and there in the middle of the living room laid a big present left by Zeus. Finally, understanding what my parents were saying about the responsibility and work of raising a puppy, I knew this was not going to be all fun any more.

The next few months were not so enjoyable. In fact it was rather disgusting and frustrating. Picking up piles of poop one after another, cleaning up pee stains, and finding holey socks and pieces of chewed up shoes all over the floor became a daily ritual. Any room entered would have some damage with Zeus’s name all over it. These annoying tasks showed me the accountability it takes to care for a dog. Not only teaching it to pee outside but, making sure it is fed every day along with taking it for walks to get exercise and fresh air. My parents were right, having a dog can be a lot of fun but with fun comes responsibilities.

From this experience, I believe that every kid should learn the responsibility of raising a pet. Not only do you get to make fun memories with it but, also learn how to take care of a living thing and keep it alive.