Rays of Sunlight

Audreanna - Hudsonville, Michigan

I believe that a kind word can go a long way.

It was my first day of high school and I could feel the change that was waiting for me right around the corner. I had been home schooled since the first grade and the only classmates I’d ever known were my two brothers and two sisters.

Rumor had it that public schools were tough and hard to adapt to for a home school kid. I was prepared for the worst as I walked through the double doors into the campus. I struggled throughout the early part of the day, trying to find my classes, making new friends, and trying to memorize the combination for my locker. I was beginning to feel hopeless by the time third hour came to a close. I was just trying to get through the day without a hassle. Maybe the rumors were true after all.

As the lunch hour drew near, I began to panic. So far I had made very few friends, and those I had acquired had a different lunch hour than mine. The lunch room looked impossibly large to me as I scanned the cafeteria, searching desperately for a familiar face. There were none, so I quickly grabbed my food from the overcrowded cafeteria and headed to the corner of a deserted table in the lunch room. I sat there quietly eating my bland cafeteria food, just wishing the day would come to a end. As I was about to take another bite, a girl walked up to where I was sitting and asked in a eager voice with a smile playing on her lips, “Do you want to sit by us?” At first I had no idea she was speaking to me. Could she possibly be talking to me? “Umm, sure, thanks!“ I managed to respond still feeling a bit shocked. I felt completely overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude. I couldn’t believe that someone had just asked me to sit by them. I could feel the heavy clouds that had surrounded me all morning beginning to lift. The rest of the day seemed to get easier after that. I knew it was because that girl came up to me and spoke those few words of kindness. Her offer of acceptance had brightened my day.

I believe that a kind word can go a long way. Whether it be smiling and saying hello to the check-out-lady or tossing a cheerful greeting in the direction of an outsider, we can all strive to notice the plight of another person. If we would all just slow down our busy lifestyles and take time to notice others, our world would be in a better place than it is now. So take the time today to bestow a kind word towards someone and bring rays of sunlight into their day.