Eric - San Antonio, Texas

I must start off with an honest statement.

It was very hard for me to write this essay.

I hadn’t notice until I had to write this essay, but I take my beliefs for granted.

For instance, I believe in God, but not religion. I believe you when you tell me something, unless I have reason to suspect you’re lying.

I take life more or less at face value, and thus don’t hold really strong convictions,

For anything. I am just a simple American with a simple job and simple views.

The usual, acceptable answers were already taken, human rights, free speech, world peace, education, healthcare, and all the other great things we take for granted in this country were listed and named by more qualified Americans among the subjects.

But I already believe those things and, again, I take them for granted, and hold no strong convictions about them, because to me, they are common knowledge beliefs.

Then I started to think.

And I came up with a conclusion.

That I believe in objection. I believe in the right to object, and the responsibility to look at life objectively. Objectiveness makes way for sociology and evolves human standards.

This country was based on objectiveness.

Our forefathers based America on objection.

They objected to the king’s laws and taxes.

They objected the religious ways of life.

They objected.

And we benefited.

Objection is defined by Merriam-Webster as a reason or argument presented in opposition, or an expression of disapproval.

That said, it is objection that allows for progress. I reserve my right to disagree.

If every one agreed, and objection didn’t exist, there would be no America.

No democracy.

We would all be subject to whatever was dealt to us, and we would not object.

It is the right of every human being to object to anything at anytime.

It is the responsibility of every human being to view life objectively.

If it weren’t for objection, civil rights wouldn’t even be idea, much less a movement.

History itself would be a flat line of uneventful times passed.

Industrialization, the progressive era, WWI and WWII, Cold War, Reganomics, and the election of a Black President are just a few things that wouldn’t have happened without objection to their respected current times.

So to keep with the theme, I’ll wrap it up,

I believe in objection.