Sharing Love

alisha - jenison, Michigan
Themes: love

Sharing Love

6:00 p.m. Sunday night, church has just began. Tonight was my night to help out with nursery class and I love being able to watch them. All the kids coming in very cheerful and ready to play, with their smiling faces and loud giggles, that is what made it so wonderful. Everyone came in this way just as usual except for one. This young boy named Diego, just didn’t act like the rest of them. He was born with autism. Diego was a very strong willed child who did what he wanted when he wanted.

Everyone assumed that all autistic children are independent, but were proved wrong. Diego seemed to do everything he could to get attention and love but he did it in the wrong way. Bullying all the kids around was what he did best. He didn’t want to be alone, but wanted to feel important as well. I wanted him to know that we were there for him and loved him very much. I began playing blocks with him, racing toy cars, playing superman, creating play-dough stick people, and everything else little boys love to do! Diego enjoyed being with people. He is much more social and interactive with the other children and gets along with them better now that he has warmed up to everyone.

I believe in love. All Diego needed was someone who cared enough to take their time out, communicate to him, and to love him just the same as you would love everybody else.