A Waste of My Time

Ellen - Hudsonville, Michigan

A Waste of My Time

I believe that going to the bathroom is a waste of time. I know it is a necessary function of the human anatomy, nevertheless, it is annoying and time consuming. In school, the time allotted between classes is not long enough to get the job done. By the time you pick up your last minute homework, put all of your crap in your backpack and begin to dread your next class, you find yourself in the crammed hallway. Halfway to your “beloved” class you realize the only bathroom close by is the one in the math hall with the ridiculously slow hand dryers with no paper towels in sight. With one minute remaining before you will be marked tardy; there is no turning back to find a more accommodating restroom. You accept the fact the call of nature will have to wait because there is no way that your teacher will understand how long this pointless process takes, especially for the ladies. They have to gather up all their friends, walk deliberately slow down the hall, start up a conversation about the latest gossip, continuing to chitchat while waiting in the endless line. Finally, when a stall does become available this “quick bathroom break” becomes a social gabfest that has consumed another 10 minutes of your day.

This nonsensical task not only takes up time, but in some cases, it also costs the user money. In Europe, for instance, the “toilets”, are scattered erratically throughout the city. If you are fortunate enough to find one, it would most likely come with a complementary turnstile. A device that will not budge unless you pay the fee, will only let one person pass through at a time, and will torture a person who cannot find the money; especially when nature is calling. Most irritated people candidly hop the gate. Where ever you are, there is no such thing as a “quick bathroom break”. Going to the bathroom is definitely a waste of time. And money.