I believe that everyone should shut up.

Matthew - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: family, respect

Not “be quiet”, not “hold your tounge”, but simply shut up. I have come to find that all conversation between people is a tennis match or a basketball game. One side takes action, as the otherside prepares to receive and volley the topic. This is what convesation has devolved into. However, recently I had the fortunate opportunity to perform in an event that should be life shaping: having lunch with my dad. I have come to realize that after 3 major surgeries, being away at war, 35 years of extremely hard labor as a carpet layer and staying with the same wife for 37 years, this man has quite a bit to offer. As I raise 2 children of my own I now realize that he is probably the most brilliant man I know. I have come to understand this by having the sudden revelation to just shut up and listen to his wisdom. Letting him tell me stories of his life and friends, I see myself in his stories and my friends in his. If you take the time to injest this view and try it with the next conversation you might learn something new, even if you already know everything.