The Power of thought

Emilio - naples, Florida

“Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination” said the famous philosopher Voltaire. Imagination is such a powerful idea when it undergoes through the thought process. Imagination is something that all have and all cultivate, from the leader of the free world to the child starring out a classroom wondering “what if?” The power of thought can move boulders and when furnished by love, it can move mountains. I consider that our innate qualities are seen through the words we speak and the actions that we take. But the idea of imagination is not simply something like that of déj– vu, where it happens and then is easily dismissed. Imagination is not simple story telling, imagination is not just childish thoughts, imagination is being able to take the frequency of a thought and paint it on a canvas.

Growing as an individual, I have come to the realization the power positive thinking in my relative short years of life. The ability to take a thought and make it into something tangible is one of the wonders of the human mind. To illustrate; a child walks through a park and sees a tree that is bearing fruit. He picks it and eats the voluptuous fruit. The child is not worried about the time, he is only concentrated in his the pleasure he feels. Well, that “fruit” is the thought process. We want to bear fruitful thoughts and focus on them with such pleasure, but certainly there is a fine line between self-love and selfishness. “We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.”(Buddha)

Thus, thoughts are free. They are not taxed by some political system; they can’t be stolen or misplaced. There is a law that states that we attract things to ourselves by our thoughts. Although not scientifically proven or ever observed, it does have components that do make logical sense. For instance, it is proven that thoughts emit a frequency relative to the electrical impulses we release. If we begin emitting a positive frequency, then there is a chance of attracting more and more positive energy, which can lead to a state well-being or nirvana. I hold this ideology to true not something that is a product of childish thinking.

Walt Disney, a famous American cartoonist and philanthropist said “If you can dream it, you can do it.” What constitutes a dream? A dream is a feeling, an imagery of words, a conviction. From the dream of Mohandas Gandhi of a free India to the dream of a “King” who envisioned a day of reaching the promise land, where his children will be viewed for their character and not for their color, all had one thing in common: A vision, a spark of imagination through perseverance and struggle. As Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse, he pondered and said “Mickey Mouse popped out of my mind onto a drawing pad on a train ride from Manhattan to Hollywood at a time when business fortunes of my brother Roy and I were at lowest ebb and disaster seemed right around the corner.” Notice, one of the most notable characters in the world, is a product of disaster. A representation of childlike goodness and charm came out of the shambles of economic disaster.

When times are difficult, I believe emotional stability is vital. Embracing the idea of love, positive thinking and imagination all lead to one unbiased road: self-fulfillment. The reality is that these are all synonyms of the same thing; happiness. It might sound like a cliché but the fact is that even tough it’s an overused expression; it holds a meaning far beyond our comprehension. Let us make a goal for ourselves and achieve that ambition that drives us. Think of what you want to do, and embrace it. Place effort into your goal. Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working. I deem this to be a belief that can benefit all, even through times of laziness and discouragement. If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort. Imagination is a gift, whether you believe it to be a product of development by means of natural selection or by a product of creationism. Imagination by means of philosophy is like a woman you caress when she gives her heart to you, the passion she shows braces her beauty, and as she grows older her beauty only grows.

In conclusion, values and morals mold our thoughts, our beliefs, and our perceptions. The power of thought can greatly influence many through positive thinking. Whether your positive thoughts come from meditation, from prayer or from any form of self-communication, the fact is that they can become tangible dreams. Love is a canvas and our thoughts are the acrylics. The reality is that nature is interdependent, and we are part of nature. From the characters of history to the mother striving to provide for her children, all are a part of nature and all have the capacity to think, to love, to influence. I believe in the power of the thought process, through imagination.