Everything Happens For A Reason

Jenny - Syracuse, New York

Have you ever felt like you are doing something pointless? Something that is absolutely meaningless? Have you ever felt like your day was uneventful and a waste? Well maybe you don’t have to feel that way if you believe that everything—every second of every event of everyday—happens for a reason. Today I am going to share my personal belief that everything happens for a reason. I will tell you why I believe in this philosophy and how I got to believe in it. Also, I will share some of my own personal stories that relate to this philosophy.

I believe that nothing is arbitrary and everything that happens, whether it is good or bad, big or little, happens for a reason. I choose to believe in this because I chose to think that life is precious and sacred. If I go on to think that something I do or something that happens is pointless and meaningless, it takes away from the value of my life. I believe in this because I believe that you can learn something from anything in life. By thinking this way, there is no waste—no waste of life. This is easy to apply when great, noteworthy things happen in our lives. Who doesn’t like to celebrate or be happy? But often times, when bad things happen, we complain, sulk and get discouraged. But I believe that we can gain even from sufferings. We gain lessons, courage, and hope. We only have one life to live. Why not make everything, something?

Whenever my mom wants to make a point or emphasize something, she has to stop in her tracks, look at the other person in the face, and say what she needs to say. She would do this no matter how busy the surroundings were or wherever we were at the time. I used to hate that because sometimes, it’s embarrassing. But once, when I was in high school, my mom was driving and I was in the passenger’s seat. We were about to get on the highway when we got into another argument. I really wanted to go to a sleepover and my mom didn’t want me to because my relatives were coming in from out of town. As I was pleading, my mom, of course, stepped on the break for a split second to look at my face and say, “No.” Then she started to press on the accelerator and the car only moved an inch when a huge 18-wheeler whizzed by us, missing us by only a hair. My mom and I were in shock. If my mom and I weren’t having an argument—if my mom hadn’t done her annoying habit of stopping and looking at me in the face, we might’ve been hit by the truck.

There is a saying that goes, “suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character, and character, hope.” I believe in this statement because it affirms my belief that nothing—not even the bad things or the little things, goes to waste in our lives. If nothing bad ever happens, then life would be comfortable, but incredibly boring and dull. So the next time something bad happens to you, don’t be too discouraged. Know that you will gain something out of your experience even if it is really small. With time, you will go back and see the grand picture of how those events link up to your present life and how those events shaped up to the present ‘you.’