The Power Of Touch

Christina - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in the power of touch. I have found that touching someone has to be genuine; everyone can tell when it is bogus and when emotions aren’t really into it. Doctors say that new born babies need to have constant human contact, the reason being that it creates an intimate connection that can never be broken. I believe the same concept applies to anyone at any age. Physical contact with another person forces a silent bond between them that words could never make. Hugging gives an overwhelming feeling of protection and security, holding hands feels sincere and gives a notion that they truly care, and a simple kiss radiates a feeling of being loved. You truly believe what the person’s actions are saying, the unspoken words serge throughout your body and it is more convincing than just hearing the worlds and making yourself believe them. Being clinically depressed is a difficult thing for anyone but for a child who doesn’t know what’s wrong with her, its murder. Growing up I often had thoughts of suicide but luckily I never acted on them. When I was 10 years old I moved to my dad’s house but couldn’t touch him because of a jealous stepmother. My depression got worse and I completely alienated myself from the world and people around me. My father took me to see doctors, counselors, and even a psychiatric nurse practitioner. I didn’t want to talk to anyone; I refused to open myself up to a world full of cold and unapproachable people. Then I met my counselor Kim. He completely changed the world and how I saw it simply because he made the effort to reach out and touch. All the others would listen and give advice when needed or asked, but Kim was different. He would physically hold my hand when telling me something important, he would put his hand on my knee or my back when I was hunched over crying hysterically, and at the end of our discussions he would give me the most heartfelt hug possible. These hugs would be the strongest form of love I had ever felt before. I found myself being cleansed as he physically told me he was there for me, that I was safe. Because of him I believe in the power of touch.