The Remedy of Music

Kyle - Rigby, Idaho

Music is so versatile. It can fit so many moods. Are you angry? Go put on some shredding beats and sulk away your aggression. Did you just get dumped by your latest fling and you are feeling a little depressed? Try a little more relaxed acoustic arrangement. Then of course there is the classic upbeat happy music that is perfect for any mood. Regardless of the situation I propose and believe that music can get you through it. I truly believe that there is some sort of connection between music and your inner self. Consider the way you feel when watching a scary movie with creepy demonic music in the background. Or perhaps you prefer action movies. How can a couple of distorted guitars and raspy voice create such an adrenaline rush during the climax of the movie? It comes from what seems to be out of nowhere. Music must somehow be tied to your emotions and being.

So much emotion can be displayed through the playing of music as well. When I pick up the guitar and play, truly play, something comes out of me. Normally emotion is displayed through facial expressions or body language. I have never been one to state how I am feeling or tell you how horrible my life is and why I act the way that I do. But for some strange, unknown reason as I strum the chords and play the notes on my guitar I feel as though I am expressing my emotion through the music that I play. If I am upset you can expect a grungy, distorted guitar piece. If I just had an awesome day and am feeling like a million bucks you can expect a song that you can’t help but dance to. I have found no explanation to the connection between music and your emotions but I fully believe that there is one there. It gets me through homework. It gets me through my job. It gets me through life. Words have never been able to express the emotions that I feel, but music, music has time and time again. The remedy of music is real. It is my remedy to life.