More than Enough

Belinda - Escondido, California
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe that the less I have the happier I am. When I was eight years old my dad left my mom to start another family. For years I watched my mother struggle to support me and my three brothers. She couldn’t find a steady job because of her limited English and besides that she did not want to leave us alone all day. Before I started my freshman year of high school my mother alone was not able to support us anymore. We couldn’t even afford our own little condominium and weren’t able to find another place, but we had to leave. My mother finally decided to move in with her parents. This way we wouldn’t have to pay the astounding amount of rent we owed each month. I did not complain because I knew it could have been worse and our home might have been the streets. Months passed of what was supposed to be “temporary” and I began to feel resentful towards the whole situation. I struggled to find space and tranquility so that I would be able to keep up with my schoolwork. So I tried even harder to focus more on school and church. After a while I started to look at things in a more positive way. Even though I didn’t have much I saw what I did have and treasured it all the more. I never asked for things that I saw others had. Throughout high school I did want the clothes, the cell phone, the laptop, and all the other material things that my friends had but I knew I simply couldn’t afford it. There have been times that I’ve been more blessed with the material things I had wanted but it is then that I feel the least content with my life. I find myself unsatisfied with what I’m given because I just want more, bigger, or better things. Once I felt how amazing it was to have what everyone else had I began to hunger for more. I quickly learned that this hunger can never be completely satisfied until we are fully humbled and grateful for what we are given; otherwise enough is never really enough. I am grateful for what I am given but I find I am able to see all the blessings I have when I don’t have much. Not just the worldly things either, I’ve been able to see what a strong, loving mother I have and how important it is to endure through trials. I have also been more motivated in taking advantage of the opportunities that I have to improve my life. There are so many things that I learned from going through the experience of being raised by a single mother who wasn’t always able to give her kids the pleasures they saw as necessities of life. I may not always have much secular things but I know I have a lot of blessings in my life that make me more happy than any material thing ever could. This I believe.