The Power of Music

Meaghan - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in the power of music. It has always had a profound influence in my life whether it is listening to it or playing it. When I was little I would play on my grandma’s piano and organ and I thought I was so good. I finally started piano lessons when I was in 3rd grade and I must have been dedicated because for two years I played on an electric keyboard that had only half the keys of a standard piano. I loved it and it became a necessary part of my life. When I was in high school I barely had enough time to practice violin and piano. My parents didn’t want me to continue lessons but it wasn’t really a decision for me; I had always had lessons and I would continue to as long as I could. Even now in college I still take lessons. Music and instruments have become my personality. My best friends were in orchestra with me. It is kind of like the music fused us together because the unity in the orchestra was unlike anything I experienced in school.

Music has the ability to bring out some of our deepest emotions. It allows people to express themselves in ways that they can’t do verbally. When you become more in tune with the music you become more in tune with yourself. Millions of people spend hours everyday listening to their i-pods. We use it when we exercise to motivate us to do better. We listen to it to forget our pains for just a moment. Songs are like memory catchers. When you feel a particular emotion or have an experience while listening to a song, you remember those feelings and that experience every time you listen to the song afterwards. Music is always present at the most important events. It’s played at funerals, graduations, church meetings and many, many other places. Composers in Russia while Stalin was in power expressed the fear, stress, and hopelessness of their people through their music because they had no other way. Without music this world would be as boring as a horror movie without the scary background music. Without music I would be living in a horror movie.