I Believe in Marriage

Emily - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: family, love

About 8 months.

That was how long my boyfriend had been cheating on me.

Its not easy being a young woman growing up in the 21st century. I am coming out into a world where although divorce rates are declining, so are the number of marriages. I have been fed since I was young the reality that I have a high chance of getting a divorce. This is enforced by the broken homes and families that I see all around me, and by the lack of commitment and trust I have experienced in my own relationships.

Trust, security, commitment, understanding, friendship, love. This is what I want in my life. But I have to wonder, is it even realistic in this society?

I visit an elderly couple that are residents in a nursing home down the street. Grant and Lela are two of the kindest people that I have ever met, and after 60+ years of marriage are still very much in love. Lela is slowly dying, but Grant is in relatively good health. He only lives there to be with Lela, to care for her and keep her company. During one of my visits Lela was doing worse than usual. I visited for a little and when I was getting ready to leave I told Grant that I really hoped Lela started to feel better. “Me too missy, and I just hope she knows how much I love her”. To this Lela sat up a little and replied “I do, you tell me everyday” with a grin on her wrinkled face.

I had to leave then. The commitment and love they share was too much for me to handle, and I was overcome with emotion and I sobbed the whole way home. I believe in marriage. In this world today where marriage is being attacked, I believe that there are people who are capable of being faithful and honest. I believe there are successful marriages that are thriving today, and I have the hope that someday I will find someone who believes in marriage as strongly as I do.