Setting The Example

Sean - Cook, Washington

Setting the Example

It was a warm September night, the crowd was cheering after our football teams home win. Everyone in the school was at the game to support them for the homecoming match between us and our rivals, the Bruins. After a long hard fought game they had done it. I was walking to my car to go home when a group of friends asked me where I was going, I replied “home.” they seemed sure that I wasn’t going home, and that I was going to an after party with them. After a short discussion I agreed to go to the party, but told them I would not be drinking.

I got to the party and was having fun, I grabbed a drink of orange juice, the only thing there that was non-alcoholic and preceded to go on with the party. I noticed the orange juice tasted a little funny but ignored it and kept drinking, watching drunks make fools out of themselves. I was having a good time, I went to the bathroom leaving my orange juice on the table. I came back to it and preceded to drink, When I had finished the orange juice I got another glass and then realized that this time it tasted more normal. Something was wrong, I caught on to my “friends” little scheme, they had been spiking my drinks throughout the night, with barley enough alcohol to taste. But non the less, alcohol. They hadn’t gotten me drunk, but I was succeeded in getting me “buzzed.” “Congratulations” I said “you got me to drink“ as I left the party furious. The next day my friend apologized, “We were just trying let you have a little fun” I said I was having plenty of fun before. You didn’t need to do that, you knew I had morals.

That was my freshman year. I have always tried to live my life with morals, its something that I believe very strongly, and that as of late my friends have too. After that incident they continued to invite me to parties and I wouldn’t go. They wanted me their just to hang out and have fun even if I wasn’t drinking. I went back to one on the condition that one of my friends wouldn’t drink along with me. So, after a game of “paper-rock-scissors” one of them agreed to “take one for the team” and not drink. I showed him my side of the party, viewing the party sober and watching the drunks make fools out of themselves. He had fun that nigh, while being sober.

Eventually after four years of high school they had all been living sober for 8 months. They told me my persistence paid off, they now see that having morals isn’t a bad thing, that you can have fun doing other things, sober. Me sticking to my beliefs, has effected four of my friends tremendously. At first they would make fun of me, until they grew to respect who I was and actually tried to become more like me. Sticking to your beliefs is one of the most important thing you can do, this is not what I believe, but what I know.