Baby Sister

Mandy - Orem, Utah

I believe in God’s power to answer prayers.

For as long as I can remember I wanted a baby sister. I grew up with four brothers, one older and three younger. We had some good times together making up games, climbing trees, playing in the backyard, causing mischief in the neighborhood, but something was missing. My brothers didn’t like to play Barbies, don’t ask me why. They never wanted to play dress up or wear makeup either! Each night I would pray that Heavenly Father would send me a sister, someone that had the same interests that I had, someone to be my best friend.

When I was eight years old my mom got pregnant. I thought that this was it! The answer to my prayers, what I had been waiting for, for so long! October twenty-fourth came and my mom went into labor while I was at school. My best friend’s mom came to pick my brothers and me up from school while my mom and dad were waiting for the baby. Fortunately, I was young and got distracted easily, so the wait wasn’t agonizing, but around 5pm the phone rang. I remember looking over at the side table next to their brown couch. I don’t remember who answered the phone, I just remember someone handing it to me and hearing my dad’s voice on the other line. “Sweetheart, it’s a boy.” I froze in place and could feel the tears. “Why?” I asked. That’s all I could say. I started to cry. I didn’t want another boy! I wanted my baby sister.

That night when my dad came to take my brothers to see the baby, I decided to stay and have a sleepover with my friend. What could be so great about another boy? My thoughts changed the next day when I went to go see my new baby brother. His name was Spencer and he was the cutest baby I had ever seen. It was love at first sight. Maybe he could just as good as a sister.

Time passed, my mom was getting older, and I had to start facing the fact that my mom probably wouldn’t have another baby. Maybe I would just have to wait for my brother’s to get married and have sisters in law, and I was really close with my friends and my cousins, they were just as good as sisters to me.

Then, one August night when I was 15 years old, my dad called me home because there was something we needed to talk about as a family. My four brothers and I piled into our living room and my mom pulled out a poster board with candy bars stuck to it saying some cutsey phrases that announced she was pregnant.

After 16 years of waiting, on April first, around nine in the evening, my mom gave birth to my baby sister, Sara. As I held her in my arms I cried tears of joy and thanked God for answering my prayer.