The death of Originality

Jeff - Issaquah, Washington

I firmly believe that the world, or at least its people, are slowly killing themselves, but not from guns or other weapons. The death that I am talking about is the death of originality. From little kindergartners to the older and retired community, it appears as though everyone just wants one thing: to look alike. Everyone these days is afraid of standing out in the crowd, of being that one person that everyone looks at because looking at everyone else has become so drab that they only want a change of scenery. The ironic thing about that statement is that while everyone wants a change of scenery, they don’t want to be that change.

Some people might claim that this is a very radical idea, and that it only exists in the state, and possibly the country that you live in. I, however, just recently returned from a two year trip to Brazil, to the Sao Paulo area. There, I got to see people from all walks of life, whether rich, poor, or middle class. Much to my dismay, they were dressed in exactly the same fashions as people from the area where I came from. I thought that going to a different country would mean a completely different style of everything! But unfortunately I was wrong. When I got home, I was into the soccer teams that they had there, and I had purchased a few of the team jerseys from there. One of my friends proceeded to tell me that while that was ok at home, that once I got to college, everyone would look at me weird, and even snicker. To my delight, that wasn’t all true, but it pressed even further into my mind how much we as a society are trying to be alike.

Thankfully, we do still have some people that just want to be different, and it’s because of those fine men and women that we have the technology, and other resources that we have. Because they went out of their way to be different. I believe that if we all made more of an effort to be different, the world in general would become a better, and more interesting, place to live in, and that no one would feel excluded because of being a little different.