Living for the Moment

Aaron - Lake Oswego, Oregon
Themes: carpe diem

It occurs to me that if I decided to write an autobiography, it probably would not sell too well; not because I can’t write my own death scene, but due to the constant repetition. In addition to school, I also partake in a sport that takes a lot of time and effort. This leads to my life being lived on a schedule. Most people, including me, would probably go mad after doing this for a long time. I, however, have remained sane. Enjoying day to day life is my way of coping with it. I think that, while it may be a good idea to prepare for the future, one should not sacrifice the present.

Most importantly, this idea showed up when my dog died. Any pet owner can tell you of pets’ delightfulness, but they tend to have drastically shorter life spans than their owners. When my dog reached about age sixteen, my parents told me that soon, she would be put to sleep. Now, I had known this dog all my life, so the news carried a lot of devastation. While I could have been miserable and brooded in my room for the next few days, I chose to have a good time with her. That certainly made my last days with my dog more memorable.

Today, most people live very busy lives. Work hours start early and end late. I believe that people in these situations would have less stressful lives if they made each moment count. On a similar principal is school. In addition to the actual school, kids have to deal with homework and other activities. I barely have any free time between the three. That which I do, however, I spend as best I can.

Weirdly, sometimes living in the moment can turn into living in the future. If you decide to have a nice daily life, then you will be setting yourself up for a better future than if you spend your life in constant preparation for your goals. While the thought of having a wonderful, easy future can draw many in, I would rather not waste my present time to achieve it. Take a look at our society’s current celebrities-people who don’t appear too concerned about anything they do, provided they have a good time.

If a person decides to make the most of the moment, then they will be making the most of every part of their life. Who do you think would lead a better life: a person who dedicates all his time to work, or one who decides to have a good time? Frankly, if you make every day count, then you will find life much more enjoyable. This, I believe.