Being Myself

Katie Zimmer - Appleton, Wisconsin

Being Myself

I believe in being unique. I believe in being yourself no matter what and not conforming to social norms. Looking back at pictures from my childhood I realize that I have always embodied this belief. The pictures from when I was a baby show the perfect little girl dressed in pink frilly dresses with a matching bow in her hair. But the ones from when I was about five or six show a much different little girl. Pink was no longer a color that I would be seen in and there was never a bow, ribbon, clip or bobby pin in my hair. I loved wearing jeans and loose fitting t-shirts; I hated shoes and just went bear foot whenever I could. Let’s face it I was a total and complete tom-boy.

Today I am still just as much of a tom-boy as I was back then and I love it. Instead of going to the mall with all my girl friends I would much rather be out trap shooting with my guy friends. I never wear make-up; in fact I don’t even own any. And since freshman year of high school I have worn my hair in a pony-tail every day. Did I mention that I’m now a senior? Some people at school don’t really get me. In fact some of them have even tried to convince me to change my ways and be more “girly”. My freshman year I made the mistake of listening to one of them.

“Katie you should really start wearing make-up, you would look so much cuter.”

“Katie why don’t you try and dress a little more girly? You would look way better.”

After being bugged like this for a few days I finally gave in, she was starting to make sense. She told me that if I started acting and dressing more girly the guy I had a crush on would notice me. So that weekend I asked my mom to take me shopping for make-up and girly clothes. Now usually when I asked for new clothes she would say I didn’t need any and that if I wanted them I could buy them with my own money. But this time I think she was shocked. She gave me the weirdest look and then said

“Ok! Go get in the car, I’ll go get my purse.”

This was defiantly a new reaction to me asking for new clothes but I wasn’t going to complain.

I arrived to school that Monday a whole new person. I was wearing girly clothes and make-up, and people went crazy. All day people kept bugging me asking me tons of questions and saying they couldn’t believe it. Then came the moment that changed me back to my tom-boy ways. I entered the class that I had with my crush and I was as nervous as I could be. He came over and sat next to me, which at first I thought was a great thing but then he said something I will never forget.

“What’s with the new look? You’re not the same Katie I used to admire for being herself.”

This shocked me; he had liked me the way I was. He liked me for being myself and I didn’t realize that. I went home that day and took all of the new “girly” clothes my mom had bought me and told her to return them. I took the make-up we had bought and gave them to my sister.

The next day I went back to school as the old Katie, and I’m happy just being myself. This I why I believe in being unique, being yourself and not conforming to the social norms of high school.