I believe in Humor

Joelle - rexburg, Idaho

I believe in the power of humor I cannot express the numerous times that I have faced, when I craved humor. Laughter is superior for my soul I need it and I love it, for me humor is the medicine of life.

I was always told that laughter can fix anything, when I was a sophomore I was a very quiet person, I stayed to myself and I wouldn’t even think about stepping out of my comfort zone. During that year I steadily changed to the person I am today which is quite the opposite; flirtatious, loud, funny, confident and outgoing, my transformation began on one very special day.

It was Valentine’s Day and I had an obsession with a class mate ever since second grade, unfortunately this was not a secret, for the sake of name dropping we’ll call my obsession Joe. He was popular, smart, funny and handsome. Some of our friends thought that it would be humorous to play a Valentines joke on “Us” it was an all night event that included taking Joe on a scavenger hunt in search for a valentines gift. All the while people where throwing makeup, a prom dress and a microphone in my hand. Not entirely divulging the real plan they told me to wait in the closet for my Valentine’s surprise. When they told me to come out Joe was on the couch waiting for me…to sing. With 15 people laughing at my expense I quietly left the scene fighting back tears all the way to my car. I was mortified I couldn’t believe what had happened I replayed the night over and over in my head until I burst into Laughter I wanted so badly to blame someone for my embarrassment but all I could do was laugh.

Although my heart and dignity were crushed I went on living my life but with a little something that I didn’t have before, the ability to laugh at myself. I know I will have many more experiences where I will be the target of others laughter I can either choose to feel hurt or I can laugh with them. I learned that anything can be humorous, if I cannot laugh at life how can I live my life. I believe in Humor!