The Future Is In the Hands of the Present

Alyssa - Apppleton, Wisconsin

At about ten years old I had my future planned out and knew what I wanted to be. From then on I was on a mission to immerse myself in situations that would prepare me for my life ten years down the road. That is because I believe that the future depends on what we do in the present.

My future is in the hands of the present, whether it is how I do in school or what jobs I have. My dad once told me that if I do everything to my best because then things will work out just fine. I try to do everything to my best ability such as school or in my job now to only make my future better. Sometimes it’s taking the extra mile in school like taking a AP course to prepare for college or going in for extra help to make sure the concepts are solid. Or if it’s volunteering at the hospital working in the children’s health center to get my feet wet in the medical field.

I have always been driven towards the things I want to do, and my determination is often measured by how much I really want something. As a junior in high school I have a lot more life ahead of me and only a little behind me. With many past memories such as good times with family or friends or that time when I accomplished something big in my life and a lot more memories to come like graduating college or getting married I know that each moment I have is only preparing me for down the road in some way.

I have always set goals for myself because that is the only way I can truly map out where I want to go. I want to go to nursing school and become and RN and then go on to work in the NICU helping babies with their first few moments alive. I have always believed that if I could set a goal and work to achieve it, I would always get where I wanted to go. Sometimes doing this can be hard because not everything is easily obtainable. Some take a lot more work, and sometimes it work that I don’t feel like doing.

Looking back at certain situations such as not taking school and my grades as seriously as I should have or passing up prime opportunities to learn some valuable life lessons, I wish I could just rewind those times and I could have gotten so much more out of them. Opportunities that passed are just reminders to keep yourself focused on the prize and don’t let them pass again.

Those goals and ambitions have had some remodeling but I still know what I want to do and how I’m going to get it. I believe in goals, and that they truly will help you get you to where you want to go by keeping you on the right path. Every sports team I have ever been a part of has always set team goals and individual goals to keep your eye on the prize and pushing forward. If I could stress one thing it would be this, set goals. Shoot for the stars because at least you will hit the moon if you try.