I believe in the home of the free, the land of the brave.

Erick - Rexburg, Idaho

I’ve had enough, I can’t handle it anymore!!! It was my first time in USA, and I was only 18 when I moved

out of my country, I heard all this jokes about immigrants, also all this racist comments against my people

were making me mad, I knew I had to do something about it, but how? After all it was just a young adult

trying to change the world and I knew that it would take more than just me to do it, I was upset, very

upset… I remember asking myself how am I going to make people think different about us? Days passed

and everything was the same, until that day, I remember myself just paying attention to this song, this

time it wasn’t just a song, it was the national anthem, and there was me with my very rough English trying

to understand what this anthem was saying, it was hard for me to understand, until this little phrase

penetrated my mind… “the land of the free and the home of the brave”, I was surprised that this little

phrase could have a big meaning, this time my language wasn’t a obstacle to let people know that this

was a free land, and that everybody in this country even those that weren’t born here, had the opportunity

to do as much as they can to reach freedom and liberty, I believe in this anthem, and I believe in

delivering this message to those who live in oppression by those that doesn’t understand this, I believe in

changing the world of those that are blinded by others that doesn’t want us to be free. My journey as

immigrant hasn’t been easy, like many others, but as long as this anthem exist in this country I believe

and I will believe that now I belong to the home of the free, the land of the brave!.