The Power of Music

Angela - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in the power of music. Music creates timeless connections and helps me learn about the world and everyone around me.

Music connects me to nature. Once as I played Chopin’s Raindrop Prelude, the storm outside seemed to echo my every phrase. The song starts with a soft shower and then builds to a raging storm where angry gods light up the sky. The rain outside my window seemed to connect with my fingers as is pounded down, pushing out thoughts of daily duties. I became one with the storm.

Music reunites me with my memories and takes me back to times and places long forgotten. As I listen to the song, Walkin’ in Memphis by Lonestar, I am transported to a rainstorm of 2005 where I am riding in my sister’s pickup truck headed down a familiar road to her house in Iowa. The air is sweet and soft, and the gentle pitter-patter of the rain seems to keep beat with my heart. As I glance to my right, I see my baby nephew cooing softly to himself, and I wonder if life can get any better.

Emotions need notes to carry them, like seeds need the wind. The song, Think on Me, that I sang with my Chamber Choir in high school, explains the anguish of a queen, and her hope that, though she is facing death, someone will remember her. Though I have never faced death, this song gives me a glimpse of the agony and longing for remembrance from those I will leave behind. Through the power of the song I share in the queen’s sorrow and feel what she felt.

Music unites me with myself. Often music, flowing through my fingertips is the only way for me to find solace and peace with the often tumultuous world. I turn to music as a friend and a confidant, using the notes to express my feelings when words will not suffice. The music helps me sort out the torrent of emotions and thoughts that circle in my head like butterflies in a jar. I believe in the power of music.

Music’s power links me to the past, present, and future. The lessons I have learned from music are timeless and will stay with me as I journey down the windy path of life. I believe in the power of music because it is the binding agent in my life and soul.