Anything can happen when you believe

Samantha - Newbury Park, California
Themes: hope

I believe miracles really do happen, and they’re not just an attempt to bring us hope like we read about in books, or hear in our favorite tall tales, but never really witness.

One day after school, I arrived home to find my Grandpa sitting emotionless on our couch. I didn’t know what was about to happen until he sat my family and I down. I was expecting the worst, but obviously didn’t prepare myself well enough for what I was about to hear. My Grandpa had been battling cancer for years, but the doctors claimed to have everything under control. All I could think about was what must have gone wrong when he told us there was essentially no chance he would be able to survive over the next year. This meant we weren’t about to spend birthdays together anymore, Thanksgivings together, and certainly not my favorite holiday which unfortunately fell at the end of the year, Christmas. This was an upset so enormous that I couldn’t begin to put my feelings and thoughts down on paper, let alone words. From that day forth, we began to prepare for the loss of one of the most loved human beings in any of our lives.

This was three years ago, my Grandpa was 87 years old at the time. He is now 90 and happens to be the happiest he has been in 10 years. You may wonder why considering he should have died years ago and you may also wonder how a patient living with mild cancer could be so happy. That’s because he survived this heartbreaking event, and to this day, is no longer living with cancer. This is why I believe in miracles. Miraculously, one day while getting his daily checkup, the doctors examined how far the cancer had spread throughout his body by this point in time. In places it had been the worst, there was nothing at all. Doctors claimed to have never seen cancer this bad disappear completely, it just simply has never happened. They have yet to figure out a logical explanation, other than a word I had yet to experience before, a miracle. A miracle had cured my Grandpa.

I believe there is a reason we are all here, and there was obviously a reason why his sickness didn’t take his life just as we all had recently prepared for. You can experience your own miracle through many ways. Through prayer, through thought, through hope, through sorrow, even through your own personal doings. I truly think this type of event can happen to anyone if you focus your energy on the positive.

Miracles such as this one have helped me to accept that they actually do happen.