I Believe in the Power of the Written Word

Bobby - Clarksville, Tennessee

I believe in the power and magic of the written word. I believe that it has the power to captivate the imagination, and, at the same time, to liberate the sprit! Whereas, the spoken word evaporates shortly after it has escaped from the mouths of men, the written word seems to last forever. Whether it is carved in stone, written on clay tablets or scribbled on paper…it is eternal! It can allow one to step outside of himself, and for a brief, fleeting moment, see himself as others might see him. It has the power to transport people from one plane to another; from one place to another; from one idea to another. It can act either as history or as prophecy. It has the power to transform the mind, inspire the individual, move people…entire continents to action, to persuade people from one position to a diametrically opposite position. I believe the written word can guide or mislead. It can make good men evil, or evil men good. It can move armies for…or against. I believe that it can move mountains…or, far greater, move the hearts of men. The written word is more powerful than any munition that man has ever created – it is more powerful than anything that man will ever will create! It is more powerful than the atomic bomb. It transcends time…distance…space…intellect, and imagination! I can neither add anything, nor detract anything, that would determine the eventual outcome of the written word. It is more powerful than I could ever hope to be. But…I am grateful that I can use the written word as tool or as weapon. I believe in the power and the magic of the written word.