The Power of the Smile

Sherronda - Columbus, Georgia

The Power of the Smile

When I was young I was taught that the smile was one of the greatest gifts that I could give someone, besides love. I used my smile to express how I felt. If I were thankful I would cheese hard because I was so excited to receive whatever it may be. Or if I was just happy I would smile to show that I was one precious little girl. But no matter what the occasion was I would smile, which is why I believe in the power of the smile.

I believe that the smile shows my humility. My personality is one that is welcoming and warming. I have always felt that if I meet someone for the first time and I smiled it would affect their perception of me in a positive way. I thought that because that is how I perceive others. If you are smiling and look welcoming I am willing to come and talk to you. But if you are keeping to yourself and look sad I am prone to just walk pass you.

I believe that the smile can be a savor. I have found that I have encouraged many people with my smile. A smile that they say is so calming, refreshing, innocent, and genuine. Sometimes I honestly do not mean anything when I smile because it is a habit. It is second nature to me. For example, I am a youth greeter at church. When people come in I smile and point them in the direction where they need to go. I do not mean anything by it; I am just standing there and pointing in the direction one needs to go. And often times they greet me back with a “Hey” or a “Thank you.” This may not seem as much but compared to some of the other youth greeters who are ignored and disrespected, this means so much. They try to compare the way I greet with the way they greet, and the responses I get to the responses they get. And I did not understand it but some of the older greeters say it is because of my smile.

I believe that people can be genuine about a smile. I believe that not everyone who smiles is hiding something or is trying to get something from someone. I believe that smiling is a form of a greeting. I believe the smile expresses the emotions that one is feeling. I believe the smile is important and plays a role in everyone’s life, which is why I believe in the power of the smile.