In dreaming…

Jannie - Rexburg, Idaho

Life isn’t perfect. I wish I had known this a long time ago.

When I was a little girl I had dreamed that some handsome, perfect, fairytale prince was going to take me away to his world and that I would exist in his own beautiful, perfect, fairytale world with magic happening all around me. I have always loved the fantasy and fictional books that have some kind of magic force of power that brings your mind into the make believe. For a while I lived in one of those worlds, hypothetically. I really had no idea that there was real terror, grief, and hate; it was just something I read in my books, I never believed it did and does happen, especially to me!

Life is full of all the different kind of emotions we can look up in a dictionary. I bet there are even more we can’t find a word for. And in the last few years I have come to the conclusion that even though we don’t live in a fantasy world, and that life is full of these feelings, we can’t give up dreaming all together. Regret, anguish, trepidation, is all a part of the crazy cycle we call life. Even though I have had my fair share of these in my own short life, I am grateful for the life I have been given. God gave me this wonderful gift of life and I need to never overlook the blessings I have been given, I need to remember to never forget to love those closest to my heart, and then to always believe that Magic is in everything.

The kind of magic I am talking about doesn’t have to just do with fairies and magic spells, but the impossible that we can see in our everyday lives. I have been born into a family that I love more than anything in the world. That right there is magic in my own eyes. When we write, create or use our imaginative skills in anything, we are seeing that magic unfold.

Even though we all know that Santa Claus doesn’t exist, that handsome princes (or princesses) can never literally “take us away”, and that Happily Ever After’s can only take place within the pages of a book, we can still dream of the impossible. Why do we know now that the earth is round? Why did we first discover that there was some kind of force pulling us to the earth’s surface? Why is this country we live in a free one? Why did the Civil Right movement pass? Or even more simply, why do we have the imagination? Answer: Because people dared to dream. So, I believe in dreaming.