I Believe In Giving A Helping Hand

Marcus - Camarillo, California

If the people of the world would just help one another, we could all live in a better place. This is what I believe, I believe in giving a helping hand to those who truly need. No matter how big or how small the favor is, if we would all just help one another we would live in a better world.

Thomas is a nine year old boy. He’s just your interpretation of a regular nine year old boy only he’s not, he’s battling brain cancer. He was diagnosed with his cancer last year in July; a few weeks after his family had taken him to Disneyland for his birthday. Since then he’s done numerous rounds of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Since then he’s moved out of the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, and moved into to the Ronald McDonald House for families with sick family members who are constantly going back and forth from their homes to the hospitals.

Thomas’s family lives in a home that sits on a hill up a steep and windy street on the western side of Camarillo. Their home is little more than a wooden shell, and a few thin sheets of plastic and drywall. The remodeling of the home was suppose to be finished last April, but the families contractor skipped out in them after receiving his final payment. Since Thomas was diagnosed with cancer in July, the family could not afford to continue remodeling their home because of the cost of chemotherapy for Thomas.

A few months ago there was a charity event at Arneil Ranch Park, to try to get the family some more money so they could try to continue with the remodeling of the home. My mom wanted me, my dad, and my brother to go, but I did not. I was up late the night before studying for a geometry quiz and a big history test, and was extremely tired and wanted to sleep in. My brother didn’t want to go either, he wanted to stay home and play Xbox with his friends online. Eventually, mom was able to get my dad to get my brother and I out of bed so we could go to the park. I didn’t mind being there, but was dying to go home so I could go back to sleep. My brother was complaining how he didn’t want to be there at all, and then my mom yelled at him and said “I don’t know why you’re complaining so much, Thomas would give anything to be here instead of sitting in a hospital bed unable to do nothing.” This made me, and probably my brother realize that we were here for an important cause. We were helping a family who could use something a little extra, because they truly needed it.

After that day at the park I realized that no matter what you do to help someone it truly makes a difference in their world. I helped out the H’s some more by working on the families’ home for a day as one of my confirmation service projects I have to do. Me and a bunch of other people from Padre Serra, worked for a few hours on the house, to try to get them on step closer to having a livable home. We couldn’t do much since it was raining that day, but we did enough to speed up the remodeling process a day or two. So when you help others that are in desperate need of help, it doesn’t matter how big or small the task because in their world you have truly made a difference.