Kind Deeds

Rachael - Lenexa, Kansas

I have always thought if you do a kind deed, you will receive something great in return. Karma has a way with how our actions lead to positive or negative consequences. I believe if one person does something great, that person can receive that greatness in return. In receiving that greatness, I believe it will inspire others to do great deeds as well. I believe this to be true from past experiences.

For part of our school requirements, service hours have to be completed in order to graduate. These works of services have to be something meaningful and significant to the community and school. I chose to go to a food kitchen to serve lunch to homeless people. At first, I felt like this was only an opportunity to finish what homework I had left to do. My perspective had changed when I got to the food kitchen.

When I was serving food to the homeless, they were so thankful for what little I had done for them by serving food. I was at a loss as to why they were so thankful for my actions. Then I realized my actions had more meaning than I had thought. I willingly took the time to come to the food kitchen and sacrifice an afternoon of fun to serve lunch for these people in need. I also realized more people are more or less fortunate than others, and these fortunes should not be taken for granted. One fortune in common between all of us was happiness. The homeless people at the food kitchen showed me you could still be perfectly happy without having material things in your life to feel complete.

I believe life is about becoming happy through kind actions. If we take the effort to do something out of kindness, the experience of happiness is exhilarating, as well as rewarding. Every action has a consequence. Some actions are positive or negative, which affects the consequence. I believe if you have positive actions, positive consequences are inevitable. Life is about being happy with you, and using that happiness to extend it to others.