The Roar of the Game

Adam - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: sports

This I believe. I believe in the Roar of the Game. The Roar of the game is the sound that gets my heart racing, gives me a purpose for the game, and keeps me wanting more. In December of 2002, I was on a winning championship football team in New Mexico. We heard the roar of the game many times, but that cold night in December stood out from the rest- it was the State Championship. I arrived early to get pumped for the game. After I was dressed and ready, I started to hear the roar as my team and I were waiting to take the field. It began, the lights, the 30 thousand in attendance on their feet as we entered. That is when I felt it, the true meaning of the roar. As I jogged onto the field I was ready, I was ready to play my heart out.

The game begins. The roar is loud and I began to play not just for me or the team, but I played for the fans, the school, and all those I loved. The clock ticks down from 10, 9, the crowd stands on their feet, 5, 4, 3, you’re not too sure how to feel, 1, you did it. The game is won not because of me but because of the roar of the game.

Now I’ve moved on, or so I thought, until the opportunity arose to hear the roar once more, and I jumped in. I found a league where I could pay football again and hear the roar. Semi-pro football for the East Idaho Lions became my new calling. The roar is always there reminding me how it feels, digging at me and pulling me back in, waiting for me to return.

I believe that the roar doesn’t have to stop, no matter how old you are or how much ability you have. When the roar has been set aside, numbness and emptiness set in, but it will always be there, knocking at the door and waiting for an answer. Football is not just a game. It is life, it is sadness, it is pain, happiness, it is everything.

I can feel the roar, we can feel the roar, not just in football or sports, but in life in general. I live for the roar; it is an addiction that keeps me going. It is like the phrase, “It hurts so good.” This I Believe.