Life is a Highway, I want to drive it.

Angelique - Chester, Virginia
Themes: hope

I am a very optimistic person who’s glass is always half full. I believe in remaining motivated to do better and accepting that we have to make our way through some bad days in order to reach the good ones.

As a teenager I dreamed of finishing school, meeting Mr. Right, getting married and having kids. I dreamed of moving away from my home town and returning for weekend visits and sending my children to stay with my mom for summer break.

But somewhere along my road to happiness, I made a detour and things didn’t turn out exactly like I had dreamed they would. Instead of meeting Mr. Right and getting married, I got pregnant at 16 and dropped out of school in the 10th grade. I gave birth to a son in 1986 that would later be diagnosed with Autism and to make matters even worse my mom passed away in 1988 at the young age of 48.

I found myself alone and struggling over the years trying to take care of my son, there was limited services and programs available in the late 80’s to early 90’s for children with Autism. As a result of my son’s constant need for supervision, I could not maintain steady employment, at one point I was evicted from my home and had to rely on relatives for a place to live. I have also resided in a homeless shelter and from there public housing.

I will admit that even though I have had many unpleasant days and lots of set backs, I stayed optimistic and positive, never questioning why I am going through this. And because of my outlook I believe I was blessed to meet some really good people along my travels who assisted me in my times of need. I eventually got the services that I needed for my son which allowed me to seek permanent employment, I was also able to go back to school and get my GED.

The days have passed by so quickly, it is now 2009; a new year with many positive changes happening. I am happy to say that through patience, perseverance, a positive attitude and the kindness of others, I have managed to secure a very nice place for myself and my two sons’s to live in, I have my own transportation, I work as an Office Support Specialist and I attend college full time.

The job that I work in forces me to work in an environment where I am constantly surrounded with negative talk and attitudes. I hear how others blame everyone for their lack of progression but never ask what it is that I need to do to get myself where I need to be. I’m thankful that I never adapted that type of attitude. I am blessed to have been given the gift patience and motivation and have learned that “life is like a highway and you have to drive it” in order to get to where you need or want to be. I never once gave up on myself and my desires because I knew that one day I would be in a place in my life free from worry and need, and I must say it feels pretty good.