The Post-Mortal Experiance

Joshua - Rexburg, Idaho

This I believe

When I was fourteen years old my grandfather died. His death was not a surprise to anyone in our family because my grandfather was suffering from type two diabetes and kidney failure. He had high blood pressure, and earlier in the year he had had a stroke. My grandfather was buried in Arlington National Cemetery sometime in the early spring. On the day of his funeral it was raining, it was not dumping buckets, but it was enough rain to get you wet. It was somewhat cold outside, and the wind was blowing, so it felt colder than it really was. I remember walking up to where my grandfather was going to be buried, and I could see the earthy mound of dirt that had been removed to create the six foot deep hole in which he would be laid to rest. I looked up and I could see thousands of stony white memorials to the brave men and women who gave their lives for the cause of protecting my freedom. Each grave marked a true hero, the kind of person who would stand up for right even If they knew that they were going to be ridiculed for it. I regmember feeling really proud when the marines played taps, and then they gave my grandfather a twenty-one gun salute, because I knew that he was like all the other men and women buried here, he was a true hero. At the end of the funeral I went to pay my respects to my grandfather and say goodbye. At this point I started crying, but it was not out of pure sadness. I felt that even though he was gone, that he had gone to a better place, his death had brought an end to his suffering, and I was glad that his suffering had ended. I also knew that I would see him again after I had lived my life.

The reason I knew this was because I was raised as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and so I was taught that there was life after death, but it never really meant anything to me because no one close to me had ever died. My grandfather’s death helped me realize that the concept that there is life after death is important. I realized that even though we die, we go on to a better place where one day we may live happily with our families. I realized that the goal of life is not to be the richest man, or to have the biggest house, it is to live a good life, to be happy, and to live according to the teachings of Jesus Christ. I realized that death is not the end, but that it is the beginning, of what I’m not really sure, but I do know that it is better than this life, and I do not fear death anymore because of this knowledge.