A mountain of doubt

Blake - Windermere, Florida

I can’t start telling you how hard it was to climb a mountain of uncertainty.

As a sophomore in high school, I am in the middle of more then just academics. I’ve been encased in drama, sports, and my friends of course. I played for my JV football team this past season as a safety. It sounds a bit irrelevant, but football was one of the reasons why I wrote this paper.

In my freshman year, I was a below average student, who would think that if I got a ‘C’ for one of my 9 week grades, I would just stop and tell myself “Oh wow, that’s like one of your best grades ever!” And that would gradually continue, so if I scored an ‘F’ on one of my math tests, I’d only tell myself once that “Well I know I need to really fix this fast” But I would never tell myself after I saw the grade.

My GPA was usually a 2.0 or lower. It conflicted with my athletics, and especially my home life. When the spring football season rolled, I was only allowed to lift weights with the team, which is something I can’t really do all that well. Other then that, I was forced to watch the kids receive their helmets, pads, and equipment.

Day after day, I desperately wanted to play football for my high school team, but my grades restricted me from doing so. But because earlier in the year, my Spanish 1 teacher was removed due to personal reasons and our sub was one of the best and most out-going substitutes I had ever had. But she told me that my old teacher didn’t input certain grades that hurt my semester grade. So she changed them from zeros to seventy-five percentages, and I was allowed to play spring football with my high school team.

I missed only about a week and a-half of training, so my chances of still being able to travel with the Varsity to the game were still alive. But the coaches didn’t think I was good enough to go, and I was heartbroken. And out of depression, my grades slipped down to below a 1.0 GPA. I failed my math and my Spanish class. I was forced to take summer school, where my teacher undoubtedly changed my perspective on grades.

I received the top grade in my class, and I can’t describe how jubilant I was. My teacher showed me everything that I could’ve cared less about 4 months ago, and put the lessons in a format that I found very simple. The last day, he pulled me aside and told me that I had potential to be in AP calculus my senior year. That one comment changed my life simply because 6 months ago, I thought I had no potential.

I believe that when you can’t keep going, you need to have patience, and eventually, an epiphany will come to you in some way, shape, or form.